About this Trip

I started listening to the audio version Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire novels and discovered a fascinating character. I think he might be the perfect man. He's been the sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming for over two decades. He's a widower (four years now). He was an English major in college--I'm an English professor--we would have much to talk about. I want to meet him (Sheriff Longmire--Walt--but I'd like to meet Craig Johnson as well). I have one slight problem. I don't know what he looks like. I do have this description, however, as Walter looks in his side-view mirror:

It was a handsome right eye, roguish yet debonaire. The right ear was also evident, a handsome ear as ears go, well formed with a disattached lobe. A sideburn had a little gray, just enough for seasoning, and it blended well with the silver-belly hat.

I loaded up my truck (I think he would like that I have a truck) and recently took off for the magic of Wyoming. I'll be listening to his books during my travels. I have to be back for the beginning of the fall semester, unless . . .


Thursday, August 5, 2010

E-Mail from Karen R

I received the following e-mail from my friend and colleague commenting on my avoidance of Nebraska:

Dear Susan:
 I fear for you.  I believe that some of the misadventures you may face on your trip to Wyoming may be due in part to the fact that you so baselessly avoided traveling through Nebraska in the summer.  It is, after all, "Beautiful Nebraska / Peaceful prarie land / Laced with silver waters / And the hills of sand." 
New Mexico in Summer
Yours, 

Nebraska in the Summer

Now let me think about this:


Nebraska in the summer, or New Mexico in the summer.  Wow.  This is a tough one.  Stop me now before I high-tail it to Nebraska.

:

No comments: