About this Trip

I started listening to the audio version Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire novels and discovered a fascinating character. I think he might be the perfect man. He's been the sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming for over two decades. He's a widower (four years now). He was an English major in college--I'm an English professor--we would have much to talk about. I want to meet him (Sheriff Longmire--Walt--but I'd like to meet Craig Johnson as well). I have one slight problem. I don't know what he looks like. I do have this description, however, as Walter looks in his side-view mirror:

It was a handsome right eye, roguish yet debonaire. The right ear was also evident, a handsome ear as ears go, well formed with a disattached lobe. A sideburn had a little gray, just enough for seasoning, and it blended well with the silver-belly hat.

I loaded up my truck (I think he would like that I have a truck) and recently took off for the magic of Wyoming. I'll be listening to his books during my travels. I have to be back for the beginning of the fall semester, unless . . .


Monday, August 9, 2010

Dead Bodies and Outhouses

Walt—I know you’re not on friendly terms with computers and that you can barely communicate through a cell phone.  However, someone who does understand this technology (Vic perhaps?) might be kind enough to inform you of what’s going on in my world.  I haven’t added any posts lately because I’ve been occupied with graduate student projects, budgeting, scheduling, advising, and working on my scholarship.  Work comes first, but I know the same holds true for you, especially considering how you’ve had to leave your daughter’s hospital bed at times in your third book.  You and I both try to exceed human capabilities, but let’s face it; we ARE human and can’t do anything about it. 

Can't quite bring myself to
use the outhouse
I’ve had another complication in this story.  I found a DB (as you know, that’s police talk for dead body) and have been dragged into a criminal investigation.  It’s slightly embarrassing, but I found the DB when I had to use the “facilities” provided by the forest.  The bathroom in my trailer, although remarkably spacious, needs to be “dumped,” and I can’t bear using the outhouse located near my campsite.  I can’t use my own bathroom until I find the appropriate dumping ground.  But short story long, when I took my walk into the woods and dug a little hole, I found the remains. 
A remarkably spacious bathroom
in my tiny trailer

Like you, I have keen observational skills, and the sheriff here is calling on my abilities.  I hate to admit this, but I’m drawing from Criminal Minds and the BBC production of Wire in the Blood (which I highly recommend if you don’t mind terribly gruesome opening scenes) because I suspect this is part of a serial killing.  Once I’m “released” from “protective custody,” I’ll keep you posted and hope you can provide insights.  I don’t have Henry to help.  Instead, I have four cats that seem to be more interested in the contents of their litter box than the proceedings before me.  I can only hope I won’t disappoint you and my readers regarding this mystery.  I’m doing the Dickens thing.  That is, I’m just going to write.  I don’t know where this story is going.  I haven’t even begun to write about it, but I will. At least I think I will.  Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I remain faithfully (and I DO MEAN FAITHFULLY) yours,

Susan

No comments: