About this Trip

I started listening to the audio version Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire novels and discovered a fascinating character. I think he might be the perfect man. He's been the sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming for over two decades. He's a widower (four years now). He was an English major in college--I'm an English professor--we would have much to talk about. I want to meet him (Sheriff Longmire--Walt--but I'd like to meet Craig Johnson as well). I have one slight problem. I don't know what he looks like. I do have this description, however, as Walter looks in his side-view mirror:

It was a handsome right eye, roguish yet debonaire. The right ear was also evident, a handsome ear as ears go, well formed with a disattached lobe. A sideburn had a little gray, just enough for seasoning, and it blended well with the silver-belly hat.

I loaded up my truck (I think he would like that I have a truck) and recently took off for the magic of Wyoming. I'll be listening to his books during my travels. I have to be back for the beginning of the fall semester, unless . . .


Friday, July 30, 2010

E-Mail from House Sitter Re Odd Man Wandering around the Neighborhood

I received this e-mail today from the person who is housesitting for me.
Dear Susan:  Some guy has been placing posters all over place--on door handles, windshields, and telephone poles--for the last couple of days about a cat that answers to Whitey, Pookey-Bear, and Mr. Gigglesworth.  I've attached the flyer. 
He has come to the door for the last two days asking about the cat.  He's really tall and kind of wild looking with a stunning beard.  He wears weird hats as well, but they're kind of interesting.  (I think he might be a hillbilly or something.  Is it PC to say that?)  He didn't seem to realize that he had already been to the house, and I had to wonder about him.  I don't think he's drinking or anything, but sometimes he sings and dances in the streets. And last night about 11:00, I heard him calling "Mr. Gigglesworth, Mr. Gigglesworth, where are you?"  He seems nice and all, but I have to say, I'm a little nervous, and don't feel like I can take care of the house anymore.  I'm really sorry. What do you want me to do?
By the way, I hope my grammar is okay.  I know you're an English professor and all.  
Let me know what you want me to do. I can stay maybe one or two more nights at the most, but like I said, he makes me kind of nervous
Hope your trip is going well.
Darlene.
Sigh.  My response:
Dear Darlene:  I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about.  He's harmless.  Truly. But here's a possible solution.  I'll give you $1,000 and pay your expenses to bring my cats here.  If the plants die, I'll buy new ones.  What do you think?  Do you have the time?  
Best,
Susan
Wow.  This should be interesting.  4 cats in a tiny trailer.  Thanks, Vaughn.  Thanks a whole lot.

No comments: